- Barcelona Moves Closer To NeymarPosted 4 days ago
- FC Barcelona 5-0 Real Madrid – All Goals 29-11-2010Posted 60 days ago
- Milan 4 – FC Barcelona 0 – Cruyff Crushed by SacchiPosted 64 days ago
- Barcelona vs Milan 4-0 All Goals & Full Highlights 12.03.2013Posted 65 days ago
- Barcelona Tactics and Attitude Win Against MilanPosted 67 days ago
- David Villa claims spot in Barcelona’s first teamPosted 223 days ago
- How To Press and Deny Space To Messi. The Do’s and Dont’sPosted 310 days ago
Should Barcelona Spend Money In A New Centre Back?
- Updated: July 9, 2012
Now that Barcelona hired Jordi Alba, attentions are now turned to the central axis of Barcelona defence. According to Mundo Deportivo, Barcelona has available 26 million Euros to sign the player, for which Athletic Bilbao asks 40 million Euros.
It seems like Javi Martinez is the player that Tito Vilanova favours the most to reinforce his squad, who has been depleted of two of the tallest players, Abidal and Keita. David Luiz, from Chelsea, and Thiago Silva, from AC Milan have also been touted as potential reinforcements for Barça.
Not questioning the quality of any of these players, does Barça really needs to spend such a big sum of money to sign a centre back? We all remember how Chygrynskiy turned out to be a complete failure after being signed for 25 million Euros. The lack of adaption to a very exquisite and complex style of playing could hamper a transition that everyone expects to be smooth, the one from Guardiola to Vilanova.
Surely that Javi Martinez from the top of his 1,90 m is a defensive powerhouse that also can play in the place of Sergi Busquets and also adds criativity, but isn’t Barcelona’s La Masia the supposed first resort to search for players to the first team squad? Both Bartra and Fontàs are very good centre backs who know how to play with the ball on their feet. They have 1,83m and 1,80m respectively, so this would compensate for the departures of Keita and Abidal. Also, Fontàs, can also play as left back or left wing-back.
So, is it really worthy to spend so much in a centre back when Barcelona has so many solutions in the squad? We must not forget that both Busquets and Mascherano also played as centre backs last season and with very good results. I don’t think so and i think time will prove me right.